Saturday 15 June 2013

Grass-free lawns and ICAD #15

Non-grass lawns!  Possibly a controversial topic in my neighbourhood since mine mostly consisted of dandelions and moss until recently.  Having actively encouraged some kind of ground-cover plant with tiny yellow flowers, similar to chickweed, I now have a fairly good covering over my front garden which is pushing out the grass (hooray - no more mowing!).  At the back, I have left half of the long grass to be meadow-like (very fine grassy stems with tiny seed heads at the top) and have scattered wildflower seed into it, in the hopes of encouraging poppies, cornflowers and the like to grow too.  Much better for the bees and insects than boring grass that I never walk on except to cut it!  Rethinking the traditional grass lawn is not a new idea, I have wanted a Victorian camomile lawn for a few years, but the cost has always put me off (plus grass will push it out again). Having recently seen an article on research about flower lawns, I was inspired to try to find more ground covering plants that will be happy to be left alone for long periods of time without turning into a hideous tangled mess.  So I now have lots of packets of seeds and a plan for sculpting out defined areas of my front lawn to plant pink and yellow flowers in patterns :-) 

Today's ICAD comes from experiments with sponging colour onto cards in a further attempt to get results I like for blending colours.  Had several goes at this with different colour schemes - this one was created deliberately to complement the colours in the temporary tattoo, then I added extra water to make paler patches to make the tattoo stand out more.  Really like this effect and a good way to use up a tattoo I would never put on my skin, lol!


For some reason Facebook and my blog are playing silly buggers with my photos today.  It is incredibly hard to get them to display in landscape mode, even though they are displaying fine on my phone, in my Picture folders and in Photo Viewer.  As soon as I try to upload them, they turn into portrait mode or upside down.  Rotating the images on my PC doesn't fix it!!  Soooo frustrating.  Managed to edit the uploads on Facebook to rotate them in situ, so they currently look ok (though may get messed up if the glitch is fixed!), then had to copy and paste the rotated images back from Facebook onto my PC, then upload them again to get them to display correctly in my blog.....



 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment